Monday, September 17, 2007

Magazines

A couple of guys came to the door just now wanting my help in "keeping them off the streets." I know that this means magazine subscription sales. They began by saying they were not selling anything or asking for donations. Too bad -- if they ask for donations I usually give some money. And when they say they are not selling anything, that means they are selling something, and usually that something is magazine subscriptions.

I politely listened to the guy's pitch for longer than usual, but I finally began the no-thanksing when he got to the list of magazines that would earn him points for I-don't-know-what. The main guy, the "mentor" of the other guy, wouldn't take no thanks for an answer, so I began to tell him I had to get back to work. Then I went with I really have to get to work, so goodbye. He asked what I did for work and when I told him he started off on some other salesman path. I said no and turned away. Finally they began to leave, but three steps away the mentor said to nobody in particular, "...not m**herf**k'n readin' any of THAT motherfugger's..." but I stopped him from finishing that thought.

"Hey!" I called to him. "You gotta learn to take no for an answer, dude. Calling people dirty names isn't the way to go."

He sheepishly apologized, but I don't think he meant it. He sounded like he had lots of practice in trying to sound sincere, though.

2 comments:

Mr. Holznagel said...

I must thank you for the photos of myself, taking photos, on your blog. I'd forgotten how boyish you looked in those dsys.

Paul Hehn said...

My pleasure!