Monday, November 5, 2007

Is This Suspicious or What?

I have a video camera on the front porch with a monitor in my office. I know this unnerves some people, even though the camera is in plain sight and it's not exactly a secret. I can understand their discomfort, but in the end I'm very glad to be able to see who's knocking on my door.

Or who isnt.

This afternoon I noticed some teenage boy on my front porch, just standing there by the door. Not knocking. Just standing there. School's not out for another half hour or so, and I'm just about to go investigate when he finally knocks on the door. So he's there without knocking for at least 50 or 60 seconds, I don't know, but it seemed a little weird.

I walked around the side door and asked what was up. He said, "do you know what time it is?"

I said, "You came to my house to ask what time it is?" He nodded yes.

I almost told him it was 8 a.m., but instead told the truth: "I don't know, it's two or two-thirty, maybe, I don't know."

He didn't seem in a big hurry to leave so I prompted him with a "get going" and a dismissive wave of the hand. I watched him walk down the street, which took FOREVER. I took note that there were other kids all over the place he could have asked.

The more I thought about it, the more suspicious it seemed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to record your visitor? I'd like to see the video, just in case the kid ends up being my son-in-law. You just never know.

Sounds like this guy walked out of a Ruth Rendell novel.

Paul Hehn said...

I can't record from that anymore. The old monitor had a VCR built into it, but I couldn't easily find such a thing when I needed a replacement. Now I simply have a TV there. And the good, wide-angle cam went down, too, so now there's just a regular view of the front door from the north side of the house. A while back a spider tried to build a web right over the camera lens. It was great to watch its legs move around in super close-up. I wish I could have recorded THAT sci-fi effect.

Mr. Holznagel said...

Was this teenage boy about the same age as either of your teenage girls?

It sounds like something I might have done as a 13-year-old, hoping I might be "happening by" when the object of my affection left the house... except I at least had enough smarts not to stand *on the porch.*