Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Auction

Last night Amy and I went to a charity fund raising auction for Grace Episcopal Church. Because a friend of Amy's, Carolynn Rudy, invited us.

We saw Cleo and Iris's former teacher (kindergarten and first grade), Mary Jean Ranberg, along with a couple of other teachers from Irvington Elementary. I saw Tammy English (married name Nelson), who graduated from Willamette University the same year I did.

And I saw lots of "older people" and wondered if I was now one of them. I've never been to a function like that, so it was a new experience. The auction/dinner was at the Portland Yacht Club, which I have to report was a less than impressive location, although the view of the Columbia is great and it's cool to see airplanes flying in front of the big windows. I didn't see any yachts, just lots of sailboats, mostly small.

I wore a suit and tie and was among the best-dressed men. I should have taken more photos. Here's a bad one from before we left... you can pretend it's a movie still from a movie you wish you'd seen but never got around to (and, really, you want to have seen it more than you want to see it):


It got cool and rainy yesterday. I began wearing long pants and shoes. I'm ready for the yacht club.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did you start wearing long pants? Memory fails me.

One of your four fathers.

Paul Hehn said...

Around 7:45 this morning.