Friday, October 19, 2007

Parking Patrol!

Heh heh...

I'm at the dining room table right now. A woman pulled up in front of the house and parked on the wrong side of the street. For the most part that's none of my business. But when people park where she did, it makes it next to impossible for any vehicle larger than a Mini Cooper to get around the traffic circle there. So if a car stays parked there, I end up hearing horns honking off and on all day -- itself an amusing thing, because why would you honk at a car with nobody in it? Anyway, it screws up traffic and bugs me.

Plus it's just stupid.

I walked outside and said, "excuse me, ma'am... there's no parking on this side of the street."

Boy, was she pissed.

"There's no sign!" she retorted.

"There's a sign right there, ma'am. Sorry." And why am I saying 'sorry'? Anyway, the sign was less than five feet from where she was standing.

She looked at the sign, said, "Oh, f**k" loud enough for me to hear. She was maybe 40 years old. She barked at me with a cross look, "then where the hell am I supposed to park?!"

Oh, the things I could have said and didn't.

I said, "Yeah, I know... it's tough."

Har. Hopefully she went away wondering if I was mocking her.

I was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your street is narrow because in 1870 there were 9000 Chinese in Portland and they all owned eating joints on Third Street with tunnels going to the river so they could catch carp and take them back to sell as chicken without the customers knowing, hence the Portland Underground, and they became rich and elected a mayor who said that all streets in NE Portland would be designed for two way rickshaw traffic. That's why.

Paul Hehn said...

There's still an iron ring in our front sidewalk, where they used to chain up the chef.