Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Found Money

Today I went for a walk through the neighborhood. I was going to pick up Cleo, who spent the night at a friend's house about a mile from here. On my way there she called to say she was not yet ready, so I walked further on, stopping for coffee at Costello's on Broadway. I walked up the street and made a stop at the bakery, then went across the street to Broadway Books.

I stepped outside to give Cleo a call, then called Amy about a book. When I finished those calls I noticed a piece of paper at my feet, which I assumed was litter. I picked it up and began looking for a trash can, but then turned it over to find that it was in fact a check, signed and everything, in the amount of $5,000. It was made out to Progressive Media Agency, with an address just up the street from where I stood.

I went there and rang the bell and this fellow eventually answered:


I said, "this was out here on the street" and handed it to him. He took it and looked at it, raised his eyebrows and said thanks. Then we said goodbye and he closed the door.

Outside of Costello's Travel café a group of young adults was being nostalgic as I passed by. I heard one say, "...he still has a cassette player," to which a couple responded "Oh, I remember cassette tapes!"

No comments: